ANC 48th National Conference
Durban, July 1991
Adopted Resolution on Umkhonto we Sizwe
Noting that MK has played an important role in the last 30 years in
bringing about the immense political victories we have scored and the political
situation to its present level
Noting that while we have suspended armed activities we however have
not abandoned armed struggle
And further noting that the agenda of the regime is to hold on to
power by among other things destabilising the NLM by engineering or conniving at
violence against the people
And further noting that the regime deliberately misinterprets the
clause on related activities in a manner that attempts to render the ANC
impotent and our people defenceless
- That the ANC shall maintain and develop MK until the adoption of a
democratic constitution and the creation of a new defence force into which
cadres of MK will be integrated. Until such a point is reached the equipment
of the movement shall NOT be surrendered to the regime.
- MK shall remain in constant combat readiness.
- The ANC accepts full responsibility for cadres arrested and/or detained by
police and security organs in the course of the execution of their duties in
defence of the people.
- The ANC shall establish structures of MK throughout the country at all
levels including the establishment of offices and the provision of resources
for such activities
- The ANC shall be entrusted with the task to popularise the demand for a
single military force that will uphold and defend the values of democracy in
that the role of MK in the present period shall period shall be
- To act in defence of peace and stability to guarantee the people`s
political victories by imparting the necessary skills
- To participate in the rebuilding and organisation of the ANC
- To act in defence of the personnel and property of the ANC.
- To encourage MK cadres to join and to channel their political concern
through the established branches
That the NEC take full responsibility for the transferring of funds to
regions for the maintenance development and general welfare of all MK cadres,
both inside and outside the country and that proper and appropriate binding
mechanisms be established to ensure this
that the NEC shall take steps to ensure the marking of the 30th anniversary
of MK throughout the country .