Programme of activities leading to the funeral of ANC stalwart Mama Winnie Nomzamo Madikizela-Mandela on 14 April
4 April 2018
Members of the Media and Fellow South Africans,
Today marks the second day since the demise of our beloved mother, Cde Winnie Madikizela-Mandela. This tragedy has gripped the nation with shock and sadness. This has led to the outpouring of messages of condolences and support to the family and expressing a sense of loss.
It is indeed a national tragedy, albeit, inevitable in that those we hold in high esteem may not be with us physically forever. However, their legacy and footprints continue to remind us of their eternal presence amongst us. As South Africans we are united in conveying a shared loss to the family and kin.
As the ANC we have been heartened by the cross section of South Africans from different walks of life who have reached out to the family and conveyed messages of hope and goodwill. Over the last two days it has been evident that uMama Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, during her lifetime, touched many lives in our country and beyond. As we ponder what lies ahead of us in her physical absence, we are convinced that hers was a life of commitment, servitude and selflessness. The indelible mark she has left in our hearts through years of a relentless commitment to equity, freedom and justice compels us to rise to the occasion and ensure that we celebrate her life and preserve the values she espoused as embodied in the tradition of the congress movement.
Today we mourn a true South African who rose from humble beginnings in Bizana, Eastern Cape and rose to prominence in her steadfast abhorrence of apartheid and all that is stood for. Her appeal found expression in many struggles waged across many sides. On our part, working together with the family we have developed a 10 day mourning programme which also seeks to celebrate the life of this revolutionary giant.
In celebrating mama Winnie’s outstanding life, her organisation the ANC, once more declares Mama Nomzamo the Mother of the Nation, one who was selfless, courageous and ever patriotic. Over the next 10 days of mourning and beyond we will continue to celebrate and honour her lasting legacy, one that we are proud of and one we hope to be emulated by generations to come.
The programme will unfold as follows:
DAY ONE (Wednesday, 04 April 2018)
- Visit to the residence by a delegation led by the Deputy President, Treasurer General, the National Chairperson and the National Officials of the ANC Youth League.
- The visit by the ANC Parliamentary Caucus
- Condolence visit by the AU Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat with Dr Ibrahim Mayaki
- ANC Women’s League regional prayer service with procession starting at Uncle Toms
- Condolence visit by the SACP Central Executive Committee
- Unveiling of the 10 day programme of mourning
DAY TWO (Thursday, 5 April 2018)
- The entire NEC will visit the family in Soweto led by the officials of the ANC
- The opening of the Tribute Book for members of the public to write messages of support. The Tribute Book will also be available across all 53 ANC regional offices
- Solomon Mahlangu Memorial Lecture at University of Pretoria, Vista Mamelodi Campus, Tshwane
- Solomon Mahlangu Bursary Gala Dinner at Freedom Park, Tshwane
DAY THREE (Friday, 06 April 2018)
- Solomon Mahlangu Day which will see visits to the Gallows to lay wreaths at the graveyard and lunch at the Mahlangu Home culminating in the Solomon Mahlangu Memorial Lecture
- Visit to the residence by a delegation led by the ANC Veterans League
- All Black Night for Mama Winnie celebrating the life and legacy of an icon to be held at Newton Music factory (formerly Baseline)
DAY FOUR (Saturday, 7 April 2018)
- Winnie Mandela Day of Service where ANC volunteers will do work at an identified hospice in Soweto
- Wall Murals depicting the life and time and struggles led by mama Winnie Madikizela-Mandela
DAY FIVE (Sunday, 8 April 2018)
- On Sunday ANC leaders will attend church services across the country
DAY SIX (Monday, 9th April 2018)
- Unveiling of Tribute Wall outside the Albert Luthuli House
- There will be two ANC Main Memorial Services held at the Standard Bank Arena in Johannesburg and in Bizana. These will be supported by memorial services in all other provinces
DAY SEVEN (Tuesday, 10 April 2018)
- Chris Hani Memorial Activities
- Visit to the family by the former Presidents of the ANC
DAY EIGHT (Wednesday, 11 April 2018)
- Government-led Official Memorial Service at Regina Mundi Church in Soweto
DAY NINE (Thursday, 12 April 2018)
- Visit by Former Presidents of the Women’s League
- The ANC Women’s League will lead a mass prayer together with the women uManyano in Soweto
DAY TEN (Friday, 13 April 2018)
- Wits Memorial Service
- ANC night vigil to be held at Orlando Rugby Stadium
DAY ELEVEN (Saturday, 14th April 2018)
- Special Official Funeral of Mama Winnie Madikizela Mandela
We have also conceptualised a national plan that will involve all provinces facilitated by the ANC-led Alliance to ensure that the mourning period covers the entire country. Each province will develop its programme in line with the national programme.
The programme we have outlined has been discussed in detail with the Madikizela-Mandela family to ensure that they support and participate in it. We appeal to all south Africans to continue giving support to the family and ensuring that our mother, our heroine receives a deserved send off.
Long live the Spirit of Mama Madikezela-Mandela! Long Live!
Issued by Cde Ace Magashule
African National Congress