< Back

ANC President Cde Cyril Ramaphosa fruitful meeting with the king of the Zulu Nation -"Ingonyama" Zwelithini

07 July 2018

The African National Congress President, Cde Cyril Ramaphosa on Friday the 6th of July 2018 held a fruitful and constructive engagement with the King of the Zulu Nation - "Ingonyama" Zwelithini on the sidelines of the ongoing roll-out of the #ThumaMina campaign in KwaZulu Natal Province.

President Ramaphosa who interacts with the Zulu King on matters of public interest from time to time assured Ingonyama that the ongoing efforts to expropriate land without compensation has never been intended or targeted at communal land which is mainly held under the custodianship of the Traditional Leaders for and in the interest of the people.

Communal land constitutes only about 13% of land. Land being targeted for expropriation is the remaining 87% and all expropriation undertakings will be lawful and just in accordance with the expressions and desires of the people of South Africa.

"We have no intention to tamper with the land that is being administered by our Chiefs on behalf of the people", President Ramaphosa went further to clarify that the views of the "High Level Panel on the Assessment of Key legislation and the acceleration of fundamental change" are the independent recommendations of the panel, which all South Africans, including the ANC are engaging on.

The President also updated the King on the appointment of an inter ministerial committee on land reform which he had established in his capacity as President of the Republic to coordinate and implement measures to accelerate the redistribution of land, the extension of security of tenure, the provision of agricultural support and the redress of spatial inequality within a broad and comprehensive land redistribution and agricultural development programme.

Addressing ANC Volunteers at the #ThumaMina roll out in KwaDukuza, President Ramaphosa reiterated the position as conveyed to Ingonyama during their fruitful interaction "We once more reaffirmed that the land that is under the control of Ingonyama Trust as per legislation and assured His Majesty that neither the government nor the ANC has any intention to take land from the Ingonyama Trust which it has custody of on behalf of the people of KZN."

An agreement was reached that further engagements on the land question would assist both parties going forward.

President Ramaphosa again conveyed his condolences to former of the ANC and the Republic of South Africa, President Jacob Zuma on the loss of his son, "I spoke to former President Zuma and conveyed my condolences on the passing on of his Son who is being laid to rest today, we continue to work well together with former President Jacob Zuma and wish him and his family strength during this difficult time"

-ENDS-

ISSUED BY THE AFRICAN NATIONAL CONGRESS

Enquiries:
Pule Mabe
National Spokesperson
071 623 4975